If you have a grandparent or other elderly folks residing in your house, there’s no question that you should find the best non-slip shower mat for seniors and elderly loved ones
Every year, over 1.5 million older adults seek emergency care due to fall-related injuries, about 80% of this number occurs in the bathroom. As adults get past 65 years old, the occurrence of falling increases dramatically each year as well. Unlike kids and younger adults who can brush themselves off after slipping, seniors could break a hip or even succumb to death months after a fall.
Choosing better shower mats that accommodate the needs of seniors could actually prevent such accidents from happening.
7 Best Non Slip Shower Mat for Seniors
Best Overall: Gorilla Grip Original Patented Bath, Shower Tub Mat
- Over 20 color options
- Extra-large size for wider coverage
- 300+ suction cups to stick the mat almost permanently
- Comes in 1-pack and 2-pack
Gorilla Grip is a renowned name when it comes to bathroom accessories and other home products, so there’s no question in our mind that this sits at the top of the list.
While the company does have other shower mat models, this 35×16-inch, extra-large mat is the most popular not only because it is offered in many colors, but also because its size perfectly fits a standard bathtub.
The design of this Gorilla Grip bathtub mat is perfect for seniors. The 324 suction cups help keep the mat in place, while the drain holes scattered throughout the mat improves water circulation and keep mold growth down to the minimum.
Because it is designed to handle machine washing, you can control when and how often to clean your bath mat. It isn’t sensitive to strong detergents, so you can use anything you prefer. Just make sure to air it out for several hours before placing it back to the bathtub surface.
- Super sticky
- Numerous color options
- 10-year mildew warranty
- Made of PVC/vinyl (some people may be allergic)
Best Design: SlipX Solutions Extra Long Bath Mat
- Available in 14 colors
- Made of non-slip vinyl
- Bigger suction cups
- 30% more coverage than standard-sized bath mats
If the big size of Gorilla Grip isn’t enough, SlipX Solutions has a longer solution that could ensure all surface of your bathtub or shower is covered completely.
This non-slip mat measures 39×16 inches, and comes in gray, black, red, green, blue, see-through black, clear and several pastel colors (light blue, lemon yellow, light grey, color, light green, and so on). Those 4 inches of added length actually makes a lot of difference, especially if you still worry about an uncovered small space on one side of the tub/shower.
Both the number of suction cups and drainage holes are sufficient in keeping the mat dry and water flowing, which in turn reduces the formation of molds and mildew. It also ensures the mat doesn’t become slimy and slippery, so no accidental slipping would occur.
Like other brands on this list, the SlipX Solutions Extra Long Bath Mat is machine-washable. Because of its vinyl material though, it is recommended that you clean it (and dry) once you feel buildup of goo begins.
- Longer mat length
- Good choice of colors
- Designed with over 200+ suction cups
- Comes with a “Peace of Mind Promise” guarantee
- May not fit on other bathtubs
- Extra-long bath tub mat
- Big suction cups make the mat double sticky
- Anti-skid design
If you loved SlipX Solutions, but is planning to buy two or more bath mats and prefer to find something cheaper, AmazerBath’s non-slip bath tub mat could be the one you need.
AmazerBath’s shower mat measures 39 by 16 inches, which covers most tubs completely. One side has a curved cutout to give way to the tub’s drain – a feature unique to this model.
This bath tub mat is designed with 176 drain holes that assist water down the drain more quickly to prevent buildup and mold formation. It also has 200 powerful suction cups that keeps the mat from moving whether wet or dry.
Using easy-to-clean PVC material, this AmazerBath mat is available in 10 different colors ranging from neutrals like clear, black, white, and greys, plus a few vibrantly-colored ones.
The AmazerBath mat can be thrown into the washing machine once it gets a bit slippery, then just air-dried for at least a day before placing into the smooth, clean bath tub surface. It won’t work with textured surfaces though, so take note.
- Good drainage
- Strong suction and grip
- Made of high-quality, non-toxic PVC
- Thinner than other mats (this can be an advantage for other people though)
Budget Pick: YINENN Bath Tub Shower Mat
- Offers the same features as higher-priced brands
- Extra large size (40×16-inch)
- Strong suction and effective drain hole
The YINENN bathtub shower mat may be the most affordable on this list, but it is the biggest lengthwise. It is actually longer than an inch to most XL mats in the market, which is always a good thing especially if your tub is bigger than standard sizes.
This non-slip shower mat also works as advertised, thanks to its “pebble” designed, 200 suction cups that sticks to any clean and flat surface perfectly. If you have a textured bath, the suction cups won’t work unfortunately.
Alternating the suction cups are 176 drain holes that allow water to pass through effortlessly while you take a shower. These drain holes are just as important as suction cups because of how water could stay stuck onto the mat and cause mold, slime and possible slipping, which is totally counterproductive, right?
The YINENN bathtub shower mat is made of high-quality, latex-free, BPA-free vinyl material, which means you can wash it in warm water for about 5 minutes and remove dirt quickly in your washing machine.
- Very very affordable
- Good mat design
- Longest bath mat on this list
- 15 color options
- Has a bit of chemical smell (but goes away after first wash)
- 40×16-inch extra large size
- Modern design
- HUGE suction cups
- 17 color options
Advertised for seniors and kids, the ENKOSI non-slip bath mat has 360-degree coverage thanks to its 40×16-inch size and 200 well-placed suction cups. The design ensures maximum coverage and grip, whether you use this for the bath tub or shower.
Made from PVC, the ENKOSI bath mat is latex-free, BPA-free, Phtalate-free, and non-toxic, although some users report getting the “Pearl White” version out of the box with a chemical smell. Other colors (there are 17 available) do not have this issue though.
I personally love the curved edges where the drain is supposed to go; It gives a cool look to the entire mat. One thing that’s distinct about ENKOSI’s bath mat is the thickness of the actual mat. While larger than most non-slip mats, this one has a softer and thinner feel, which could either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you’re looking for in a mat (sturdy or comfy).
This mat is machine-washable, so it could easily be cleaned and kept hygienic once it starts to collect gunk or form molds.
ENKOSI backs its products with a Lifetime Indestructible Warranty.
- Perfectly sized for both shower and tub
- Lightweight and soft
- Suction cups placed closer together
- Secure and comfortable
- Thinner than other mats
- Ergonomic oval shape
- 39×16-inch size makes it longer than standard-sized mats
- Non-slip design
- Rapid drainage
Yimobra’s oval-shaped shower mat perfectly fits into most bathtubs. It features over 240 suction cups, which ensure the mat is kept in place regardless if it’s wet or dry. Kids can sit and play on the mat while taking a bath comfortably. Seniors would be given extra stability because of how secure that mat feels.
What’s great about this design is that Yimobra also took note of proper drainage, adding bigger and more drain holes to quickly remove excess water, prevent sediment water that contribute to mold formation, and in turn ensure that the mat retains job as an anti-slip mat.
However, unlike other bathroom mats, this model requires you wet the suction cups and pressing down with force when installing. It’s pretty straightforward once you get used to it.
There might be only 9 color options available, but I think Yimobra gave enough options to cater to most people’s preferences since both light (white, pink, light blue, clear) and dark (blue, midnight blue and gray) are available.
- Unique oval shape
- 247 suction cups keep top to bottom in place
- Made from non-toxic materials
- Easy to “install,” easy to remove
- Oval shape means it may be small for big tubs
- Comes from a trusted brand
- Simple bath mat in different sizes
- Thick construction (about half-inch thick)
Rubbermaid’s bath mat is available in different sizes – medium, large, XL and square. The one we’re focusing on is the extra-large one as it is the best non-slip mat for seniors.
Although you don’t have many options in color, what is most impressive with Rubbermaid is that it is actually a high-quality bathroom mat. The suction-backed mat stays firmly in place, so you feel safe and stable even if it is wet. And unlike other shower mats here, the other side is perforated for improved drainage.
The extra-large version measures 36-inch long and 18-inch wide, which isn’t too long when compared to other XL mats. Take note of the size discrepancy and decide if you’d need to add a smaller mat to give coverage for the entire tub or shower.
One thing you can be sure with Rubbermaid bath mats is that you can trust them to deliver. The mats may not look fancy, but it is high quality and it works in preventing slippage.
- Made of non-toxic, latex-free vinyl and rubber
- Classic mat design to fit any bathroom aesthetic
- Made by Rubbermaid (tried and tested brand)
- No weird smells
- Only available in 3 colors (white, off-white, Boston) and may not look the same color from the picture
How to Pick the Best Non Slip Shower Mat for Seniors
Because deciding on a shower mat could mean life or death to our older loved ones, it is absolutely important that we don’t decide based on price, but on specific design features. These include:
- Slip-resistant – Almost all shower mats claim to be created with slip resistance, but not all actually are. Make sure that the mat you choose have slip-resistant features to provide as much stability for seniors as possible when they take a shower. The mat should stay in one place (often because of sticky suction cups distributed equally across the mat for the most traction.
- Mold-resistant – Because shower mats are constantly under water exposure, they are prone to mold and mildew. However, the materials and design used for the mat affects how well it could drain water and eventually reduce mold formation.
- Anti-bacterial features – Pick a shower mat that is antibacterial, BPA free, non-toxic, phthalate free, and latex free.
- Machine-washable – In the past, old shower mats were just discarded once molds are formed and cleaning seemed impossible. Newer rubber mats in the market are made machine-washable, which means the life of your mats would be extended.
The size of mats will usually depend on user preference. But if you’re shopping for seniors, pick larger mats that can cover the entire surface of a tub (except for the drain). Budget should be the last consideration when you’re trying to find the best non-slip shower mat for seniors.
Out of hundreds of options, these 7 bathroom mats we recommend should be able to tick off all important features of a non-slip shower mat, so you can pick any of them.