Non-Medicare/Medicaid Sources for Home Modification Funds

Not all aspects of home health care, such as certain home modifications, are covered by Medicare or Medicaid. However, there are more than 400 nationwide programs with financial assistance available for elder care, including funds for home modification. Some programs are funded through local governments, the Office of Veteran Affairs (VA) and both non-profit and private organizations.

Home Modification Grants through VA Programs

The Veterans Directed Home and Community Based Services (VD-HCBS) program is available for veterans who have the need for nursing home care but wish to receive its equivalent in their own home. This program also is called Cash and Counseling for Veterans, the Veterans Independence Plus Program, the Veterans Community Living Program and Veteran Directed Home Services.

The HISA grant or Home Improvements and Structural Alterations grant is ideal for elderly veterans whose disability or needs may not be directly related to their military service. The grant helps disabled veterans make home modifications to help improve mobility and access. The cost of walk-in tubs is something that may covered with this type of grant.

The Specially Adapted Housing grant (SAH grant) and the Special Home Adaptation grant (SHA grant) both may help with funding for home modification, including walk-in bathtub cost, grab rails, ramps and more.

Easter Seals

Contact your local Easter Seals chapter for assistance with funding for handicap accessible bathroom modifications like barrier-free walk-in showers, ADA-compliant sinks and toilet support rails. Each local chapter has its own program and funding restrictions.

Rebuilding Together

For more than 25 years, Rebuilding Together has offered home modification and rehabilitation services to low-income homeowners. With the assistance from 100,000 volunteers, this program helps homeowners who otherwise couldn’t afford home modifications such as ramps, grab rails, walk-in tubs and more. Program volunteers also perform home repairs and maintenance tasks to improve the overall living conditions of low-income seniors and those living with disabilities.

USDA Single Family Housing Repair Program

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) hosts the Single Family Housing Repair program that offers loans for home modifications and repairs for low-income homeowners. These loans are designed help fund improvements in order to eliminate both health and safety hazards in the home. More information about this program can be obtained by contacting your local USDA state office.

Assistance from an Independent Living Center

Contact your local Independent Living Center for additional resources regarding funding for home modifications. These organizations provide support and advocacy for anyone living with limited mobility, disabilities or other conditions that require home and health care assistance.

Important: Before choosing a program to help fund your home modification or purchase of a walk-in tub/shower, remember that these programs are subject to change. Always speak directly with a program representative.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.